יום חמישי, 20 בינואר 2011

REVIEW Samsung UN55C8000

Pros: Razor sharp image,
Vibrant colors,
Excellent Black (there is an adjustment to make it even blacker.)
Total control over the settings
2D to 3D up-convert
Brushed Chrome Bezel

Cons: 3D eye fatigue

So I read a ton of reviews about Samsung UN55C8000 and just about every other TV out there, plasma, normal lcd and led-lcd. I went to several stores sat in front of each and finally decided on the Samsung UN55C8000. So why did I do it. Plasmas, although I already own one, have a few drawbacks of there own. They get incredibly hot, especially when you have kids that keep them on 24-7 etc. etc. So I had decided upon an edge lit Led with local dimming since they offered great black levels without the extra $$$ required for a full back-lit array led. I was also seduced by the option of 3D, since a local retailer was offering a great deal on a couple of models that put them down in my price range (led not the plasmas.) That brought me in front of two makes, the Sony and the Samsung. When it comes down to a plug it in and forget it TV I would say the Sony wins the fight. However when it comes down to which one produces the best picture, Samsung has it hands down. The Samsung UN55C8000 is built to be adjusted in every way you wish to with the ability to revert back to factory settings with a simple click. The vibrant colors and clarity of picture on the Samsung was just stunning. Side by side you could see that the Sony almost looked gray and washed out compared to it. A bright yellow screen would pop on both sets and you could see the difference instantly. The other problem was that the Sony couldn't reproduce a decent White, no matter how I messed with the settings. So that sealed it up for me. I bought the Samsung UN55C8000 and took it home.

Now to address some concerns on negative reviews. The "Soap Opera" effect can be turned off completely or adjusted several ways in the menus to meet your needs. The reason I have found for why it is so extreme is that while watching a 3D movie it compensates for the fact that the shuttering lenses of the glasses don't miss bits of the on screen action and it actually smooths out the picture making the 3D content more fluid. While watching 3D with it on it actually makes the movie seem normal. With it off you see a huge difference in the quality drop off. It also is a great effect for watching sports as it clarifies the picture. Although while watching the Quantum of Solace I turned it off completely.

The colors on screen do wash out if you watch from an angle. Since I am the master of my cave, this is no concern for me, that is everyone else's problem. However with the colors washed out it looks more like the Sony straight on. After studying every LCD out there, this is not just a Samsung problem. If you don't want to deal with this then buy a plasma. However this is more noticeable in a well lit room with the screen back lights on full. In a dark room with the back light dimmed it is greatly diminished, almost unnoticeable.

I read a review that said you could not tilt your head or watch 3D from an angle. This is not correct. I have watched from far down my hall, from an angle and even lying down. So I don't know what that was all about, maybe a firmware update corrected that. I don't know. The one draw back to the whole 3D experience is that it does cause eye fatigue. I don't know if that is a problem with the other sets out there, Sony had a special room set up at a retailer with a static image to show it off, but not in a real world application. The Panasonic glasses were broken. The one highlight of the 3D experience however is the ability to make a 2d movie 3d. It is not exactly the same as a native 3d flick, however it does add a lot of depth and it does not create as much eye fatigue. I tried it out watching "How to Tame Your Dragon" 2d blue ray, and "The Quantum of Solace" also a 2D blue ray.

Overall if you want the Best edge lit LED out there for the picture, get the Samsung. It will blow you away how razor sharp the image is.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה